This Day In History

  • 1691 Castleton’s Regiment (later 1st East Lancashires) embarks at Portsmouth for active service in Flanders as part of the largest English Army sent abroad since the days of Henry the Eighth.
We are funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions.

Please help by clicking the buttons below.

Donate to us through BT MyDonate

Visitors’ Book

Please sign our Visitors Book. We welcome all comments and feedback about the Museum.

Please note that due to the unfortunate prevalence of illegal, offensive, undesirable and spam messages, we retain the right to edit all comments for content, suitability and length before publication, including the absolute right not to publish any message which we deem unsuitable, without further explanation.

 Name *
 Email *
 Text *
* Required

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(38) Geoffrey Armstead
Sun, 31 March 2013 14:17:25 +0000


(37) David Ian Pendlebury
Sat, 30 March 2013 08:31:24 +0000

Frederick William Pendlebury. He is my father’s namesake and my sons also. I hope this information is of some assistance, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your efforts, endeavors, and work.

I offer this as an oral tradition, remembered from conversations of times past, and conversations that are more recent. I also offer some supporting research, and information taken from this site. Again, I hope this gives some light to others, whose family members in the 11th Bn, SLR, that fell or participated in the last German offensive, in and around St. Quentin, on March 21st / 22nd 1918 specifically, and through March 29th 1918 in general.

These conversations are remembered from his brothers, both of whom served, and both of whom survived. I have done little research of them, but hope to in the future with the help of this forum. His brothers Harold (Field Artillery), and Les Pendlebury (Lancashire ??.) My Grandfather was not of age to serve in the Great War, but did serve during the Irish troubles in the 1920s. Of the four sons from that generation of my family, only my grandfather, the youngest of them, had issue.

Lance Sergeant. Frederick William Pendlebury - 20043 - A Coy, 11th Battalion, South Lancashire Regiment, 30th Division, Fifth Army.

Frederick was working at Pilkington’s Glass works when War was announced. He worked within the sheet glass factory, and had been working there for two years. He was also a pianist, and played regularly at Church. He was a devout Anglican, and being the oldest child, was very much admired by his brothers, and sisters - all of whom spoke about him with tones of deep respect, and loss.

He joined up in the City of St. Helens within days of the call for volunteers with several of his friends from Pilks, and other friends that lived on his street. He was issued a number - 20043, and little more than that on his first day. He joined without the permission of his father or mother, but there was a feeling of pride within the house in Sutton, at that time - his brothers recalled. He was 21 years old at the time he joined.

He served with the 11th Battalion, South Lancashire Regiment during his entire time of service, and sent money home. He always managed to send a little money home.

I wish I could offer more along the lines of his service in France. I do know that he, and some friends got leave, and he played piano on more than on occasion during those times. He did make it to Paris twice. I also remember his brothers telling me that he had "been through a lot." It struck me then, but I know more now, what they meant by that, and typical of Lancashire under-statement I suppose.

March 21 - 29th 1918.

The circumstances surrounding his last days are well recorded orally. His brothers did manage to get passes to a Red Cross Hospital separately and briefly, to be with him at that time. I do not know how they were made aware of his injuries, or how they managed to obtain passes during that chaotic, critical period, but both did see him in Rouen.

He had been assigned to do repair work on trenches behind the British lines in front of St. Quentin, in what was a French section. They where also doing carpentry work in dugouts, and some kind of hand 'railway" work for the Artillery around a place called Savvy Woods.

On the morning of the 21st (Friday0 there was a very sudden but very heavy barrage that came over just as everyone getting up and ready for a typical day, that lasted for hour or longer. It was a cold, damp morning, they had not yet made Tea or had breakfast. The shells were 'landing all about' they were 'everywhere.' He and several of his 'mates' were caught in several 'bursts,' but none of them where hit by shrapnel, and other than a ringing in his ears, he felt fine. Soon, but not immediately, others in their general area began to vomit. He did not think much of it at first, but he and the others did get gas masks on. The barrage did not last long, he said, ‘they had been plastered far worse’ to Harold a few days later. The barrage carried behind them, making a mess of what they had been working on. They thought that they had missed the worst of it, with only a stray shell falling among them, while the noise in front of them started to build. A few of his men were already making their way back to a clearing station in Ham, and others started drifting from the front lines from other regiments through their area. He learned that they had lost a few in his company oo their right.

A few hours after the initial barrage had started, he, and several of the men began to vomit also, some began to feel a tightness in the chest, and a burning sensation about them. They where told to get to the to a dressing station while they could.

They where making their way on foot to Ham, when another barrage fell around them. One of his friends was hit by shrapnel (don’t recall his name) and had to be carried the rest of the way. His friend later died at the medical station. There were a lot of people already at the station when they arrived, they were very busy, but not panicked and things where orderly. There where a lot of ‘Lorries’ carrying people away, and he, and his ‘mates’ where put into two of them, and sent toward Albert.

Several of them where separated at a train station, and by late evening he was at the Red Cross Hospital in Rouen. He did not say much about the journey on rail, and slept much of the way. It was not until later that night that he began feeling the effects of gas, but was otherwise cheerful, and comfortable.

His younger brother. Harold (Field Artillery,) went to see him on Monday, March 24th. Harold spent the day with him, but had to return to his unit the same day. Harold said that he was fine when he left, and that his nurse thought that he would recuperate, and be returned to England within a day or so. His condition was bad, but he was talking, and sitting upright. Harold got the sense that he would make it home. Harold also saw several others, friends of both of them, that where in the 11th.

Les arrived on Thursday, the 28th. He recalled him being very sick, and in dreadful pain. He said it was very hard to look at him, and that even the slightest movement for him was a painful effort. He had several large blisters, and could not breath.

It was a memory that stayed with Les, and I got the sense that he had terrible guilt for leaving his brother in that condition. Les also had to return to his unit that day, but I remember him being very sad when telling me.

Frederick died the Morning of the 29th of March, Good Friday. He is buried in St. Sevier Military Cemetery Extension, Rouen, France. His brothers, including my grandfather went to the grave several times during the remainder of their lives. I hope, one day to visit the same.

CWGC Casualty link.,%20FREDERICK

(36) Mike Steele
Fri, 29 March 2013 13:18:49 +0000


I'm trying to identify a MacKenzie family (reportedly from the House of Seaforth) with three brothers, who all died while serving in the Army c 1800.

They are said to have gained commissions through raising companies of their clansmen. The eldest Louis (Lewis) was a Colonel, who died at the Cape; the second was a Captain, who died in ‘Forlorn Hope’ and the third saved his colours but was wounded and also died. A Gaelic ballad was apparently written about them.

I have identified from the London Gazette that there were three Lewis MacKenzies who served at the Cape:

A) One who was initially commissioned in the 73rd Foot Regiment (McCleod’s Highlanders) in 1780 and rose to be Lt Colonel in the 81st Regiment (Loyal Lincoln Volunteers), who were stationed at the Cape from 1797-1802.

B) One who joined the 71st Regiment of Foot in 1800 and went to the Cape in 1806. He subsequently joined the ‘Hottentot Corps’ and died out there as a Captain on 28th Nov 1811 (b 1767). It appears that he had a wife Mary and a daughter.

C) One who joined the 72nd Regiment in 1793 and was at the Cape in 1806. He died out there as a Senior Captain in May 1807. He was definitely Lewis Mackenzie (b 1778), the eldest son of Col George Mackenzie of Scatwell.

I presume that A) is the Col Lewis MacKenzie that I am trying to identify, although I can find no record of him dying at the Cape.

Further research suggests that there were only three MacKenzie families with sons named Lewis at the time - the Dundonnel, Scatwell and Lochend MacKenzies but I have not been able confirm which, if any, provides the connection. Circumstantial evidence suggests that the brothers might be the sons of Sir Alexander MacKenzie II of Lochend.

I should be delighted to hear if any of the above information might ring any bells with anyone and whether you can help to identify to the family concerned.



(35) Christopher Basson
Fri, 22 March 2013 09:56:17 +0000

I served in the South Lancashire Regiment (PWV). we were amalgamated and I went to
Hong Kong as a member of The Lancashire regiment (PWV) as National Serviceman.

Private - Christopher Basson 23413429

Best Regards to all.

(34) Caroline Macpherson-Mueller
Sun, 17 March 2013 22:53:07 +0000

My father Charles Sinclair Macpherson was a member of the South Lancashire Regiment from 1914-1920. He was born in Glasgow in 1889 and I have always been trying to find some mention of his service as a Private during WWI. Just happened across this site and so very interested to keep looking here. Thank you for being here.

(33) Thomas Scott Tedeschi
Wed, 6 March 2013 16:40:13 +0000


Seek any information on Henry Ogle:

Henry Ogle born 28 Mar 1851 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Henry Ogle baptised 16 Aug 1851 at St Patrick in Liverpool, England

Father's Name: Henry Ogle
Mother's name: Ann Power

Henry Ogle is listed on the 1871 England Census:

Name: Henry Ogle
Age: 18
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Gender: Male
Where born: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Civil parish: Fulwood
Ecclesiastical parish: Fulwood
County/Island: Lancashire
Country: England
Registration district: Preston
Sub-registration district: Broughton
ED, institution, or vessel: Fulwood Barracks
Household schedule number: 1
Piece: 4218
Folio: 115
Page Number: 32

Henry may have served in India.

Thank you,


(32) Rebecca Dawes
Mon, 18 February 2013 18:18:11 +0000

I have been given an album which has war photos specifically from Singapore and we assume Malaya....I know that many have been labelled Gillman Barracks, Jessfield Park and also the waterworks...I know also that these ones were taken by Millington and were of his friends but i also have what looks like copies of wartime photos including those within trenches and some of beheadings of Japanese prisoners....anyways if anyone is interested in who may be in the photos please contact me as i would like to give copies to the families...there are too many to mention here but i have some photos of the following people:


No 11 platoon at the yangtsgepoo waterworks

(its a v large album)

Hope this helps someone even if i dont have a photo of the family its a great way to see what like was like there in these barracks

(31) Shaun Johnson
Sat, 9 February 2013 18:50:15 +0000

I grew up with the QLR travelling the world as a lad I then joined up and served with the Royal Artillery Today, living with PTSD, I am an actor with ex-Military theatre company Combat Veteran Players performing Shakespeare plays raising money for military charities. One of the lads in the cast is an ex-QLR and knew my dad What a small world I love this web page... Good happy memories

(30) Linda Freedman
Tue, 22 January 2013 13:53:32 +0000

I came across this site researching my Great Great Grandfather Robert Chadwick who was born in Oldham but came to Fulwood Barracks because he was in the Militia, his daughter Alice my Great Grandmother was apparantly born in the barracks but I can only find him on census records (as a Staff Sergeant in the Militia) residing at various addresses initially as a lodger, I don't think he married until he was in his 30's and by the time my Great Grandmother married my Great Grandfather on Christmas Day in 1889 when she was only 20 he was already deceased. If there are any records of service I would be interested in finding out more. I didn't know anything about the Militia and initially thought it might be some kind of police force.
It's strange to think of my ancestor being a Militia Sergeant there, I got 'arrested' by an over zealous young soldier at the barracks when I was only about 11 or 12 years old in the early 70's, I was riding a pony through the barracks looking for my friends a lost dog...I later joined the WRAC so it was particularly intestering to me to find I had an ancestoral link to the barracks in Fulwood. My father is ex QLR my Grandfather was in the Black Watch for some reason...other side of the family. I was brought up not far away from the barracks, I now live just North of Garstang.
You are very welcome to visit the museum, we would be pleased to show you around. It is possible, but cannot be guaranteed, that we can provide further information from our archives. If you wish us to carry out this research, please read the information under the Research tab elsewhere on this site, complete the application form and return by post with the appropriate fee. Please note that the Museum receives very limited official funding and all fees received for research go to the maintenance and development of the collection.

(29) Ken
Fri, 4 January 2013 13:19:06 +0000

During research of my Grandfather , Henry Lucas ( He was Royal Garrison Artillery # 44330),died 9th May 1918, age 37, buried in a war grave site at Esquelbecq in Northern France, (grave IC 32,I visited the site in 2010. He is listed on the Holy Trinity Church Rathmines memorial. Henry & family lived @ Mount Pleasant Building , Oxford Road, Renelagh, Dublin, Ireland.

I received a mail from a researcher showing a newspaper clipping , mentioning his uncle John Lucas VC (my great uncle).

I see from your web site the VC is located in your museum. I would love to visit some day and get a photo holding the medal. Or even get a photo e-mailed to me. I attach Henry and family ( My mother is the baby) , and a photo of John.
You are very welcome to visit the Museum at any time, we will be delighted to show you your uncle's medal. Just give us some warning of when you would like to visit.