This Day In History

1762 British force which includes the 40th Regiment (later 1st South Lancashires) invades the French island of Martinique in the West Indies.  The soldiers are ordered to land with three days provisions, a canteen of grog each, and their blankets.
1809 Battle of Corunna. After a long, demoralising and dreadful retreat from central Spain, the British army is forced to turn and fight to gain time for the Navy to come to its rescue. The 2nd / 81st (later 2nd Loyals) have a desperate, 2-hour fight on the right flank, running out of ammunition and losing over 160 killed and wounded before the French are repelled. 2nd/59th Foot (later 2nd East Lancashires) are sent to their aid and lose 60 killed and wounded, but their Grenadier and 1st Companies are the last British troops to disengage from the enemy. The army commander, Sir John Moore, is fatally wounded.
We are funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions.

Please help by clicking the buttons below.

Please donate

Chapter 13 – ARMY REORGANISATION 1873 & 1881

In 1873 the territorial basis of the Army recruiting was reorganised and this was further confirmed on the 1st July 1881 when the old Regiments of Foot were linked and redesignated as follows:

30th -1st Bn The East Lancashire Regiment    –   Depot Burnley

59th -2nd Bn The East Lancashire Regiment   –  (Preston from 1889)

40th -1st Bn The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers) Depot Warrington

82nd -2nd Bn The South Lancashire Regiment  (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers)

47th -1st Bn The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Depot Preston

81st -2nd Bn The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

 Lancashire’s Militia and Volunteer units were also linked to the new County Regiments. It is of interest to note that at the time of this reorganisation the 40th were entitle to bear 19 battle honours, more than any other Regiment entitled to carry colours except the 1st Foot.

 Chitral. The first active service after reorganisation was when the 1st East Lancashires took part in the relief of Chitral on the North West Frontier of India in 1895.

Chapter 12 | Chapter 14